Thread: What order for high school math

Default What order for high school math

My second ds is almost finished with Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 and we're trying to decide if he should do alg. 2 or geometry. My oldest ds did alg. 1, alg. 2 then geometry. He hated algebra and just wanted to get it done and out of the way. But when it came time for the ACT test, he didn't do as well on math the first time because he hadn't had geometry yet. But had we put geometry in between, he would have spent an entire year thinking about the algebra he still had left.

So, did you have your kids do algebra 2 or geometry next? What was your thought process behind the decision?
    Steph~Blessed wife to David and mama to five fabulous boys:
    Caleb married to Bree, Isaac-19-Greenville University, Elijah-16, Silas-11 and Jotham-9

Most schools do Alg 1, Geom, Alg 2, in that order precisely because of those tests. We did both Algebras, then Geometry because he was using Life of Fred, and the author says to put Geometry last so the kid doesn't have to do as much review when they get to 2.
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

My oldest is using Saxon. She did Saxon Alg 1 for Freshman year and is now in Alg 2, which combines Geometry w/ Alg 2, so you end up with two credits when you're done, one for each discipline. The thought, in theory, they'll have it all by the time the SATs roll around. We'll see.
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 19, Rebecca 17, Samuel 15, Jacob 12, and Katie 9,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

We did Alg 1, Geometry, Alg 2, precisely because of the ACT. That was using TT. My dd will be using LOF, though, so I don't know what we'll do. I guess Alg. 2 after Alg. 1 -- but then what about the testing? I may email the LOF author and ask his thoughts on that.

Steph, after your ds takes the ACT using TT, I would love to talk with you about math scores on the ACT. Would you consider emailing me if you don't mind sharing those scores? We can talk about your oldest, too, if you want, even though he did his in a different order.
    "Ree-bee," Mom to former United States Marine ds and math teacher DIL * artist dd 20 * motion-loving ds 17 * piano-playing ds 12
    "For Miss Minnie loved children and she loved books, and she taught merely by introducing the one to the other." from "A Consent," by Wendell Berry

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm still not sure what will be the best way to go.

Rebe, I'll e-mail you. Not sure if I'll get to it tonight but tomorrow for sure.
    Steph~Blessed wife to David and mama to five fabulous boys:
    Caleb married to Bree, Isaac-19-Greenville University, Elijah-16, Silas-11 and Jotham-9

My ds just finished TT Algebra I. I ordered TT Geometry next. I think it's good to have algebra again at an older age.
    Julie, ds (18) dd (15)
    Word of the year: 2008-Be still, 2009-Abundance, 2010-Purity, 2011-Feed, 2012-Time, 2013-Relationships, 2014-Words, 2015-Community, 2016-Marriage, 2017-Let go

Quote Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
    Most schools do Alg 1, Geom, Alg 2, in that order precisely because of those tests. We did both Algebras, then Geometry because he was using Life of Fred, and the author says to put Geometry last so the kid doesn't have to do as much review when they get to 2.
    This was my thinking also due to LOF. We ended up switching to Thinkwell due to LOF not being approved for HS math with our Charter School. After doing LOF Algebra 1 my son just tested out in Algebra 1 Thinkwell in 9th grade and we are doing Thinkwell Algebra 2 this year in 10th. Geometry next year. Not taking the ACT test so this works for us.
    Last edited by Cindy in CA; 12-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Cindy, Single Mom of two precious sons, Nicholas (12-97) & Ben (4-01). Loving FIAR since 2004!

Carrie has done 1 and 2 and is now doing geometry. But we're not going to take the ACT, so we didn't have to think about that aspect. We just thought it would be better to continue on with algebra while she still remembered how to do it. And she didn't take a summer break in between, just kept on going.
    Wife to David for almost 42 years, mom to 9, homeschooling Abby (16). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 2 new babies due in the spring of 19! Homeschooling since 1986, Loving FIAR since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy in Alabama View Post
    Carrie has done 1 and 2 and is now doing geometry. But we're not going to take the ACT, so we didn't have to think about that aspect. We just thought it would be better to continue on with algebra while she still remembered how to do it. And she didn't take a summer break in between, just kept on going.
    For the same reasons.

More than 15 years homeschooling as a single mom to:
    Justin, HS grad 2008, (25), Jaime, HS grad 2011, (23), Jeffrey, HS grad 2014, (20)