Thread: Can you help me find a spelling curriculum?

Default Can you help me find a spelling curriculum?

I have always done spelling organically - we have not used a curriculum, just copywork, dictation and making corrections. This has worked fabulously for my ds who is 8, maybe because he is a visual learner. However, it has *not worked so well for my dd, who is 9. Her spelling is h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e. Even small words she misspells. She is a voracious reader so she has no end of correct models, but she just isn't a natural speller. She is a very auditory learner, and we have made some progress if I orally quiz her on how to spell certain words.

I would like to implement a spelling curriculum with her next year, but I would like it to be simple and take only 5 or so minutes a day. I think she would balk at anything else at this point, and I will have another child entering Kindergarten and therefore already will be adding to my plate. If the curriculum is oral, so much the better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!!
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.

Sunshine, for us the best spelling program BY FAR has been Sequential Spelling. My son was a horrible, terrible speller, too. When I bought this and started using it, my older dd with dyslexia saw it and wished so much we'd had it for her when she was in school. It's very simple to use. The idea is the teacher calls out a list of words. After each one, if it has been misspelled, the student corrects it. The words are related (like cat, hat, mat) so if you learn to spell one, you can spell lots more. Endings are added during the week and sometimes other related words. The key is consistency. You do a list every day. There's no prep for teacher and no studying for the student. It has been almost miraculous for my son!
    Wife to David, mom to 9, homeschooling Thomas (18), Abby (14). Grammy to 6 granddaughters and 1 grandson! Homeschooling since 1986, Rowing since 2000.

I'd second Sequential Spelling. My children were not natural spellers either & Sequential Spelling is the only programme where I saw the learning carry over into real life.
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

My second oldest is not a natural speller and I have to tell you that she is now 16 and she is much better. I would not say she's turned into a natural speller, but with the maturing of her writing, has come better spelling.

Just adding this in case you'd like to stick with your more organic method!
    Heather wife to Dan and embracing the independent nature of homeschooling with our fantastic four (19 ds, 17 dd, 15 ds, 12 ds).

We use Spelling Power loosely - but to echo Heather - my non natural spellers have greatly improved with age. They still aren't natural spellers, but they no longer spell which as wich!

Heather and Angie, thank you for your experiences! It gives me hope.
    Sunshine - mom to 4dc - dd10, ds8 1/2, ds7 and ds5 1/2.