Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing all this cool art......

Default Storing all this cool art......

I wasn't sure where to post this but I am wondering what everyone does with all the art that your children do. I place some in their scrapbook, some in our lapbooks, and we even have an art notebook for art lessons on a particular artist. Whew! But because my children LOVE to draw, paint, etc. so much, I am still trying to find a good way to store all of their art! I LOVE the fact that they are very creative and I adore all of their drawings so it is hard having to pick which ones to keep. How do you store your children's masterpieces?
    Thankful for Ricky (my loving husband of 19 years) and two amazing children, Leigha@ (12) the ballet and guitar lover and Sam (10) the LEGO and Xbox freak !

I usually shrink it and toss the original. The shrunk one can go into the scrapbook.

In our Co-Op art class the teacher had each child make a portfolio.
    It consisted of 2 peices of colored posterboard. We stapled them together around the sides and left an opening in the top. The DC each decorated the top of the portfolio with markers, paper peices made into designs and stamps etc. So now any extra art work just goes in their portfolios. They keep them underneath their beds.

Also -as a side note. I just checked out a book at the library called "Displaying Your Child's Art"-really neat ideas in there for displaying options.
    Last edited by MichelleL in Tn; 06-11-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    ~Michelle~Living happily ever after with dh-Gary of 13 years, Ds 9ys and Dd 7 ys.

For our art lessons (not FIAR stuff) we have a scrapbook. When it is full I will bind it into a book using the press from Binding Books Beautifully. FIAR related art goes in to the appropriate lapbook (we do one for each book). If the art is related to a specific topic we are covering (History or Science) then it goes into the appropriate notebook. That will also get bound at the end of the school year. Other art I take a digital picture of and save it on the computer. It hangs up for a while and when that area gets full we start tossing the older stuff.
    AM, Homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
    "Curse you!, Physics." ~Ross

I did what Michelle in TN suggested. This is mostly for their over-sized art. I got the poster board at the Dollar Store (I think it is 3 for $1). I have one for the whole year. I use one portfolio for all six kids - one portfolio for each year. Now don't ask me what I'm going to do with it 20 years from now !
    Stacy
    Wife to Jack; Mom to Caleb (17), Elizabeth (12), Faith (10),
    Annika (8), Eliana (6), Josiah (4), and Anderson (Almost 2)

I put it in a notebook, if it is large, we just fold it over to fit in the book. If it is too large it will hang in the school room and disappear. My youngest dd destroyed the huge Caps for Sale poster that they made, it irritated me but it really was too huge to keep. I only keep the best. I am so mad at myself for throwing out Avery's Van gogh painting that he made before we moved. It just was in the wrong place at the wrong time when we were moving. It was really good. I asked him to make another one but it just doesn't look the same as the original. He even called it his Vincent Van Gogh, I was just so impressed that he knew the artists name and the style to paint. It looked great too.

Sometimes too I take a picture of the art and put that in their notebook.

AB
    Married to the Love of my life Andy for 8 wonderful years and mother to Avery (7) Avonlea (4) and Annie (2) and another little girl expected in June!!

FIAR art goes in our notebook with our other "stuff". But other craft projects and drawings tend to get given away. If the kids color a picture or draw something (which happens a LOT especially of Big Ben, double decker buses, and ....) I'll put it aside and when they need something to keep them busy I'll ask them to dictate a letter to a relative who doesn't live near by. Mostly ones who live in America. Grandparents still get pictures to hang on the fridge, and they get to know exactly what the kids are thinking, etc.. It works out wonderfully this way.

Kendra
    Kendra, wife of Lawrence, mother of three.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I have stacking letter trays, one for each child, that I've stuck all their artwork in for almost 2 years, unless it's displayed elsewhere. We'll move in a couple of months, and before we do, I'll have the kids make a cover listing the time period, laminate that, then take it to Office Max and have it bound. I think that will be a really awesome book for them to have! Right now we have all their larger artwork stored in a cabinet, so we'll be getting them each a portfolio for that.

My real problem is all the little clay and sculpture type things they do. When we move, we're talking about mounting a 1x4 high on their wall to put it all on. Any other ideas for that?

Also, what does everyone do with all the medals and trophies from sports? Since they give them out now each season a kid participates, it gets to be quite a collection.

We have decorated our home with their art work. I have a large tempera painted zebra, a chalk pastel bird, an oil pastel lion, a chalk pastel monkey, a water color horse, and this is just the beginning. They do great work and we love to show it off.

DS (13) loves to do origami. I am waiting on him to fold me some fish and flowers, so I can frame them and put them up in his bathroom.

For the rest of the art work, I label it and put it in one big under-the-bed sized container in the garage. At the end of the school year I go through it all and sort what I want to keep into individual under-the-bed sized containers- sometimes I include the boys, sometimes I don't.

Another fun thing to do is to take a picture of it and then print it off and put it in their scrapbook. You can print it off any size you want. They make great embelishments.
    Last edited by amyal; 03-11-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Amy, who is loving life with dh and 4 sons (16, 14, 8, & 6)

I have heard some Moms mention taking pictures of all the art projects (we have very artsy kids too ) and then compiling them in a special notebook. I am a sentimental old fool and need the original so I can't do that! I like the idea of portfolios
    Loving Snuggling on the Sofa for 10 years:)
    Mama to Andrew (13) Phillip (12) David (9)
    Julia Cole (6) and John Paul (5 weeks)