Thread: A day in the life resource?

Default A day in the life resource?

I have a crazy notion that someone should have written a book describing the day in the life of children from various countries. And, I also have the crazy notion that I want to use that book as I introduce my children to other countries through FIAR. Have you seen a resource like that? Can you point me to something?

Thanks!
    Jennifer
    Dd 8yo, Ds 6yo, Ds 3yo, Dd 2yo, Peanut 10/10

http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Up-Anc.../dp/0816727201

Growing up in...

We read a couple of these last year with our SotW.

wife to ff hubby
    mom to 8 yo twins

I'm getting this book: Every Day Life Through the Ages from Paperback Swap. But I don't have it in hand yet so I can't offer a review.

You might want to check out your juvenile non-fiction section at your library, ours has a series of 'every day life' books. I've been able to buy some of the older versions of the series at Friends of the Library sales.
    Blessed to be Home With The Kids
    Logan (14), Hannah (11), Aaron (9), (Little One Eternally Home 2007), (Liam 5)

We've enjoyed the Children of .... series from our library system. Just insert the name of the country. ex: Children of the Philippines. Hope this helps!
    Linda, blessed with a family and abundant life (the good and not so good).
    Happily rowing with 3 sweet girls--'94 '97 '98

This is what we use and enjoy very much.
    http://www.amazon.com/Children-Just-...473268&sr=1-33
    AB
    Married to the Love of my life Andy for 8 wonderful years and mother to Avery (7) Avonlea (4) and Annie (2) and another little girl expected in June!!

There is a lovely DK book published in association with unicef called "Children Just Like Me." It is a terrific resource. The book goes around the world by continent and then country and shows the lives of children living in those countries. The book is written in first person by the children and it includes a picture of the child's house, the food s/he eats, the members of the child's familly, information about the child's school and what the child does for fun. It is a typical DK book in that it has lots of pictures with a caption for each picture. My kids look at this book all the time even my pre-readers.

There is also a companion book called "Our Favorite Stories." There are 10 stories in the book and each story is accompanied by a little information about the culture from which the story came. The children in this second book are the same children from the first book and my kids thought that was cool.

Your library probably has both books and they're also easy to find in bookstores and at garage sales.

Hope this helps.
    Waverley - wife to 1, mom to 5