Thread: Advice Needed....about doing B4 and FIAR

Default Advice Needed....about doing B4 and FIAR

Hi all,

I have a question about doing both FIAR and B4....I have 3 kids ( 2,4, and 6). I started rowing a couple of B4 books with dd2 (she loves it!!) Ds4 has joined us a little here and there and is "o.k." with it. Dd6 hasn't done it yet (we start in the fall with her)......

My question with this is...how do you incorporate both so you don't have to do it twice in a day for two different age groups? Or do I just do it twice? I am just hoping there is a way I can streamline this. I am so excited about doing FIAR, got my maps, books and my planner. Then I looked at B4 for my littlest and she is just really loving it. Where should I fit in ds? Any thoughts? Is anyone else doing both?

Thanks in advance, I haven't been on these boards long but just really have enjoyed the community here!

I did both FIAR and B4 with my dd and ds when they were 7 and 4 respectively. I would do them separately but together, if that makes sense. I would have dd doing her handwriting practice or her math page for the day while I did B4 with ds. If dd wanted to do our B4 activity with us, she could. If ds wanted to listen to dd's FIAR story, he could. Sometimes, I would do FIAR with dd while ds was playing, and then after we'd finished, call him for B4.

If it were me, I'd place ds where HE felt most comfortable, and where he was most capable while still being challenged. If he and younger dd enjoy the stories and activities from B4, leave him there until next year. If he is more comfortable with dd's FIAR stories and lessons, go for it! DS only lasted about half a year on B4 before he was beggin to join his sister in rowing.....You know your dc best, so you'll get it figured out rather quickly by watching and talking with ds. If he's fidgety and wandering off during B4, ask him what it is that doesn't interest him. (DS finally told me it was because B4 had too many "baby stories and stuff" in it.) If it's just the opposite and he doesn't seem to be ready for FIAR, then keep him with B4 until he is ready.

HTH!
    Suz
    "If there is righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character. If there is beauty in the character, there will be harmony in the home. If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation. If there is order in the nation,
    there will be peace in the world."

We've done B4 and FIAR for the past couple years- this year my 5 yr old will bump up to FIAR and my oldest will do beyond, just as my youngest is beginning before.

We've done this 2 ways:

1- read the b4 title first to all of them. Then send the littles off to play (or let them join in if they want!) while you do fiar with the oldest.

2- Read the b4 title with the little ones while the oldest is working on independent work. Then do FIAR with the oldest while the little ones are playing.

For ME- I've found it works best to do b4 first- because then the little ones have mom's attention, and are more likely to play nicely while I school Micah. Also if I do B4 first, it's more likely to get done, instead of "someday we'll get around to it"
    Andrea-
    Wife to my wonderful husband Ben, mom to my crazy boys- M- 16, C-12, J- 9 and whatever foster kids come our way! :D

I am going to alternate- a week with Before and a week with FIAR. I'll include both little boys in all the activities(my 6yo is not too sophisticated for Before), and I think think they will both enjoy it. I am not entirely sure how I'll work things with my 9yo, but he'll be in on most of what we do.
    mom to many- 28yog + SIL & dgs, 27yog + SIL & dgd, 25yog + SIL, sweet 17yog, 13yob, 10yob, 8yob- wife to one for 30 wonderful years.

and Welcome here!
    Wife to Music Man for 24 years; Mom to two miracles, dd, 17 and ds, 15
    "The LORD will fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." Exodus 14:14 KJV