Thread: Need some high-school level recommendations

Default Need some high-school level recommendations

Looking ahead to the next 3 years, I'd like to find some resources for my son to use on certain topics. These do NOT need to be curriculum, regular books or recorded messages would be fine.

I'm looking for resources about:

The basics about WHY we believe what we do (Evangelical Christian)
    Creation vs. evolution (laying out the evidence for both and comparing)
    Conflict resolution
    Spiritual gifts
    Dating (we have "Kissed Dating Goodbye", and "Gave Dating a Chance"- I'm curious if any other good resources have been published in more recent years)
    S*xual issues such as STD's
    Any other topics re: Christian life and beliefs that you would consider essential for high-shcoolers.

TIA!
    Wendy, wife of Retired Air Force hubby Sid. Mom to school teacher Virginia, 28yo; Son-in-law Mark; Homeschool graduate and Graphic Artist John, 21 and remaining student Tim, 15.
    I can only do one thing well...You pick: Homeschool the kids, or Clean the house.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
    I've used a lot of materials from Answers in Genesis for these two topics... they have a teen/adult book pack which I got at a conference a couple years ago !

Cari
    Cari in Pa -- Married to Dave for 27 years!
    Mom to nurse Sara (23), married to Mike, almost-teacher Danielle (20), train-boy TJ (16) and my little dancer/soccer goalie Phoebe (13)

We've used some of the text of Understanding the Times and I wish we had known about this curriculum this past year.

http://www.summit.org/curriculum/

I'm debating starting it this year. There are various levels and they looked really good. I looked over them at our conference and talked with the reps about them. Just debated because I also was recently trained to use The Truth Project.

I would also recommend The Truth Project for teens. Very solid scriptural basis for why and what you believe. It's geared for Christians. The training was amazing and I can't wait to share this with my family - and eventually others.

http://www.thetruthproject.org/

Hope this helps.
    Leslie Nelsen, Family Room Moderator
    Wife to Roger, Mom to Christopher (24) married to Emily, Rebecca (22), Joshua (18), Isaiah (16), Daniel (13), and Eliana Joy (11).

Quote Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
    Looking ahead to the next 3 years, I'd like to find some resources for my son to use on certain topics. These do NOT need to be curriculum, regular books or recorded messages would be fine.

I'm looking for resources about:

Conflict resolution
    Spiritual gifts
    Dating (we have "Kissed Dating Goodbye", and "Gave Dating a Chance"- I'm curious if any other good resources have been published in more recent years)
    S*xual issues such as STD's
    Any other topics re: Christian life and beliefs that you would consider essential for high-shcoolers.

TIA!
    I remember using this book for a senior Bible class on apologetics in high school. The companion book, Know Why You Believe, looks solid, too. You might also consider examining world religions & cults so that your ds understands the differences.
    Mom to Grace (14), Sarah (12), and Hannah (10)
    Using my college degree in ways I never imagined....

Sunny South Florida ~ 3 miles from the beach!

~ Boundaries in Dating by Cloud and Townsend
    ~ Preparing Your Child for Dating by Dr. Bob Barnes
    Alicia <>< Wife to Jeff; 3 great sons ~ Josh married to Jessica, dgds Madeline Spring and Caroline Bryant ~ Ethan married to Holly, dgds Annaleigh Grace and Addison Joy ~ and Micah.