Thread: computer based reading programs - help please

Default computer based reading programs - help please

I am needing a program that is "plug and play" that requires no input from me. I need it to be a GOOD program. I don't care how "fun" it is. I do care how solid it is. I would like it to be able to assess where my kids are currently and pick it up from there. Cost is an issue, but we could figure something out.

Ideas?

I've done Starfall and they like it, but it is too "open ended" in that they can choose to do what they want and not progress. I want the program to tell them what to do, does that make sense?
    WARNING: Due dates are closer than they appear!

CJ,

ClickN'Kids Phonics is computer based, independent and is leveled so that each time they log in they go to the next level. I don't remember there being an assessment but you can pick which lesson they start at and it keeps track of what mistakes they made, score, etc.

I bought it last year - I don't use it regularly. My kids aren't crazy about it but they will do it.

Homeschool Buyers Co-op has a 50% off deal right now.

Hope you find something that fits your needs.
    Susan, married to Kevin; mom to 4 blessings: Maggie (15) Samuel & Simeon (14) Solomon (10)
    [SIZE="1"]

I had a friend who used ticket to read. They have a 14day trial period.. Her dd loved it. My dd's liked it too but we didnt keep up with it. They didnt ask for it either.

wwww.tickettoread.com
    Mama to 3 girls(10yo,9yo,4yo) and a very active boy(19mo).
    “The first end I propose in our daily work is to do the will of God; secondly, to do it in the manner he wills it; and thirdly, to do it because it is his will.” -St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Quote Originally Posted by Susan in Kentucky View Post
    CJ,

ClickN'Kids Phonics is computer based, independent and is leveled so that each time they log in they go to the next level. I don't remember there being an assessment but you can pick which lesson they start at and it keeps track of what mistakes they made, score, etc.

I bought it last year - I don't use it regularly. My kids aren't crazy about it but they will do it.

Homeschool Buyers Co-op has a 50% off deal right now.

Hope you find something that fits your needs.
    I've looked at it, but I don't really like what I see. I'd much rather just computerized flash cards adn voice, honestly! I found Phonics Tutor... I put some things on hold at the library and we'll see.

Much as I like the time spent together working on this with my kids it is just too hit and miss these days and it needs to get done.

Cheryl in SoCal Guest

I've seen Color Phonics in Alpha Omega's catalog, is it anything like what you are looking for?
    http://www.aophomeschooling.com/home...ts/cp5010.prod

Both of my dc have worked through Hooked on Phonics Master Reader CDrom. It's excellent! I would guess the earlier Hooked on Phonics computer based reading programs are strong too.
    Julie, ds (18) dd (15)
    Word of the year: 2008-Be still, 2009-Abundance, 2010-Purity, 2011-Feed, 2012-Time, 2013-Relationships, 2014-Words, 2015-Community, 2016-Marriage, 2017-Let go

We like Headsprout. Caitlyn and Sean both did the program with good results and Brooke is currently going through it (a bit younger than the other two went through it but she still doing well with it)

I don't have to do much with them at all. We do read the booklets together and occasionally do the flashcards but the day-to-day lessons need little or no input from me and it gives me feedback on what they are doing and how well they are doing. We like it. The payment plan costs around $10 per month per child. I think the first child might be $20 per month and then every child there after is $10. Caitlyn and Sean did it about 3 years ago and they still gave me the discount on Brooke when she started about a month ago. Oh and once you complete the payment plan (6 months I think) they can do the lessons until they are done with them. However long that may take. Caitlyn still has unfinished lessons that she can still access.

hmmm,

Good sites to look at! Cheryl, that Color Phonics is MOST intriguing!

Julie, was the Hooked on Phonics really all computer based with no real input needed from you?

Jeni - thank you. I'll look into that some more.

Quote Originally Posted by carriejoy View Post
    Julie, was the Hooked on Phonics really all computer based with no real input needed from you?
    At that level (their highest reading program), it was computer based learning then reading aloud a couple of paragraphs to me. We did that about half the program, then my dd read silently for the second half. I love that the program taught syllables too.
    Julie, ds (18) dd (15)
    Word of the year: 2008-Be still, 2009-Abundance, 2010-Purity, 2011-Feed, 2012-Time, 2013-Relationships, 2014-Words, 2015-Community, 2016-Marriage, 2017-Let go