Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shakespeare

Default Shakespeare

Any good books that give a summary of the plays or are simplified versions more appropriate for an 8 yo? I picked up the Charles Lamb Tales from Shakespeare at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and I do not like itl.
    Living a fab life

Have you seen the Bruce Coville books? They are beautifully illustrated picture books of the different Shakespeare stories.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_...Coville+shakes
    Mom to 3 boys: 15, 12, and 9 with a girl (3) tagging along for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseR View Post
    Any good books that give a summary of the plays or are simplified versions more appropriate for an 8 yo? I picked up the Charles Lamb Tales from Shakespeare at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and I do not like itl.
    What don't you like about it? That might help guide us to one you might like.

We use this one. I like it but not knowing what you are looking for, I don't know if you will. You can read it free from the link I gave you to see if it's something you'd enjoy using.
    Linda wife to Mark, Mommy to Emily, 20 Anna 19, Rebecca 17, Samuel 15, Jacob 12, and Katie 9,
    Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen.
    Steven Wright

Thanks to both of you. Those are more along the lines of what I am wanting.

Charles Lamb uses a lot of vocab words that I would have to define (or even look up to see what they mean) and the sentances are often cumbersome. I tried to read her The Taming of the Shrew and found myself stopping every paragraph and "translating" into more "modern" English.
    Living a fab life

Formerly Costa Rica, now sunny FL for a time

I was going to recommend the Nesbit one also, probably best for that age group.

Another great one for that age would be the Jim Weiss audio CD. Also, here is his Romeo and Juliet.

There are also these you could explore from the library:

Leon Garfield

Marchette Chute
    wife to Spencer; mom to Alexis (21, homeschool graduate), Christopher (17), Nathan (15), & Seth (13)

Formerly Costa Rica, now sunny FL for a time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin(CA) View Post
    Have you seen the Bruce Coville books? They are beautifully illustrated picture books of the different Shakespeare stories.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_...Coville+shakes
    ooooh, Robin. Those look beautiful.
    wife to Spencer; mom to Alexis (21, homeschool graduate), Christopher (17), Nathan (15), & Seth (13)

Edith Nesbit uses easier language than Lamb's book.
    Marla
    Wife of Chris (30 years), Mom to Moriah (15)

We have this and gave it several tries. Didn't like it at all. The language was hard to read as a read-aloud.

The Bruce Coville books that Robin suggested look gorgeous. I was about to add them to my wish list, but when I saw the sample pages, I realize that the language in those are a bit too advanced also.

I don't know your dc's ages, so it's a bit hard to see what would be appropriate for their level.

This is the only one we've loved so far. I so wish that they would make more like this. My dc (as well as a small group - ages 9-14 - that I was teaching a few months ago) begged for these stories. I like Shakespeare to be fun, engaging, and approachable.

We have this one and I myself didn't care for it as much as the one above. A bit too crowded. Nonetheless, my dc liked it.

I have been considering this series.
    I always like it when amazon has sample pages.

I would prefer to focus on Shakespeare's comedies first. I really would love to find a children's version (as well as a DVD) of The Merry Wives of Windsor. Have not found either yet.
    "There is no peace that cannot be found in the present moment." - Tasha Tudor

Oooh, lots of choices. Thanks.

DD just turned 8. She was talking about Romero and Juliet a couple of weeks ago and I didn't think anything of it. Then yesterday, she was talking about plays and quoted "To be or not to be" saying she thought it was from Shakespeare. I gave her a quick intro to Hamlet based on memory and she was intrigued. Taming of the Shrew is a personal fave of mine, especially since the story line has shown up in different modern formats, But I pulled Charles Lamb off the shelf and we didn't make it beyond page 2 before it was obvious that this was more than she was ready for at this time. Our library is woefully sparse in Shakespeare (re)written for younger kids.
    Living a fab life

We like the Shakespeare Can Be Fun! series. If I remember right, the author created it with her 2nd grade class in mind.
    Wife to Pastor Tim and Mom to April (graduate), Erica (graduate), Jacob (graduate), and Jesse (4th gr).