Thread: LD Update

Default LD Update

We had our son tested on Saturday. I got the preliminary results and he has a "significant learning disability." His processing speed is much lower (34 percentile) than verbal and perceptual reasoning (95 percentile). His working memory is solidly average at 55 percentile. He also took the Woodcock Johnson and was a grade level behind on most everything to do with reading, writing and spelling. Math was on point and would be higher if we did more with it. I let him do it for fun.

It means I wasn't imagining anything about his intelligence and his struggles, but I do find just how high and how low it is to be startling. She said his good scores are like that of college engineering students. She said he will do well in college if he can keep up with the reading. She said there is no way to pinpoint what is going on here and she recommends a comprehensive, systematic reading curriculum and sticking to it. He would qualify with accommodations with those scores.

It's a bit daunting to have a child who is so smart and needs challenging to be mentally happy, who also needs so much extra help.

We are celebrating and giving thanks for his gifts, for sure! And I'm praying that he can accept his challenges with grace, and that we can find the key to helping him unlock reading and writing (with his help/feedback).

I ordered Go Phonics and we are considering Brain Builder and AttenGo (eventhough he doesn't have ADHD near as we can tell). Perhaps Earobics? There are other reasons for processing speed as noted in this article called The Tortoise.

Just thought I'd share since everyone was so helpful a while back. The testing was super helpful too in that 1) I am not crazy and 2) I got precise search terms and found a bunch of resources and articles right away. Like this thread.

I asked DH about dyslexia testing and he is adamant that we don't do it. He doesn't want to "test him to death." I don't know if I agree with it, but I can at least wait a few months and see how he does before bringing it up again. AND I did order a phonics program that is supposed to work with dyslexics.

Thanks, everyone.
    Last edited by Cori; 05-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Knowledge is power. Way to go, Mama.
    Gwen
    pursuing
    FREEDOM with
    Dave (dh), Karis (20) and Meg (18) Nate (16) and Evangeline (15)

Your son sounds very much like my dd11. We had her tested when she was 8 and our results are so similar to yours. I'd like to suggest Fast ForWord byScientific Learning. It is very expensive ($500/month) if you have to do it on your own. We are able to get it for our youngest son through the school here. I wish my dd could but the school she would go through won't allow it.
    Child of the King, wife to an amazing husband and mom to the fantastic 4. Ellie 2000, Khaya 2002, Kenya 2004, Ethan 2006